How should I dress my baby for sleep?

The right clothing for the right temperature is important. Don’t make the common mistake of dressing the baby too warmly. It’s easy to assume babies get cold, but often they are too warm. Don’t judge their temperature by feeling their hands or legs, but rather their chest. This will give you a better sense of how to dress them for sleep. Dressing them lightly, but fully, for sleep is a good rule of thumb. Babies sleep better if the room is a little on the cool side; they sort of “hibernate” and get cozy for a nice rest. Some babies love little sleep “bags;” my babies hated having their feet and legs restricted. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

Should we let our baby sleep in our bed?
It is currently not recommended to allow your baby to sleep in your bed. Infants who sleep with thei...
How can I put my baby on a sleep schedule?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Keeping your baby on a structured sleep schedule can mean a better night's rest for you. In this vid...
When will my baby start sleeping through the night?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
The fact is, some babies naturally sleep through the night -- and some don't. Recent research confir...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?