How can I help my baby learn to go back to sleep alone?

Trish Booth
Family Medicine
There are ways to help babies learn to sleep through the night. Talk to your baby’s doctor about helping your baby learn to go to sleep without your holding or rocking her. That will help your baby go back to sleep without your help. Make a plan about how you will help your baby learn to fall asleep and get back to sleep by herself.

- Reassure yourself that if your baby wakes in the night and begins to fuss, it’s okay to let her settle herself. You don’t need to rock or cuddle her back to sleep.
- If your baby calls out to you wanting to play, it’s okay to just call back to her that it's time to sleep.
- If you think your baby needs an item in order to settle, give it to her without turning on the light or talking to her.
- If your baby needs to be touched, gently pat or stroke her for a minute. Don’t pick her up.
- Try to focus on helping your baby self-comfort and fall back to sleep by herself.
- If your baby needs special attention, give it in your baby’s room. Then put your baby back in her crib.
- Don’t bring your baby into your bed. Having your baby sleep with you rewards your baby for waking up.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How can I reduce the risks of sleeping with my newborn?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
Controlling these factors should eliminate most of the associated risks of co-sleeping with a newbor...
Why should I teach my baby the difference between night and day?
In the beginning, your baby will be in a constant sleep-eat cycle. Nevertheless, it's important to g...
Is it normal for babies to wake up during the night?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
Before three months of age, babies generally waken at night and usually need to be fed. By four ...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?