How can I create a good sleeping environment for my baby?

So much of young babies’ sleep is constitution and temperament, not the environment. That’s a concern I have with some of the popular baby sleep books; the shrinks who wrote them mostly dealt with really severe sleep problems in their practices, and developed their approaches based on those cases.

The "run of the mill" cases like yours and mine would just never present to a sleep clinic at a major university. If we generalize to the normal, general public, you get worried and educated parents like you and me thinking that our kids are under-sleeping, developing bad habits, etc.

It doesn’t take much to provide a generally "good enough" environment for sleep for your baby. Anything beyond that is likely to make you nuts, and waste your precious parental energy. And when baby #2 (or #4) comes along? Forget about it! You won’t be able to control the environment very well at all. But those babies still tend to sleep fine. In our house, our third is the best sleeper of the group, and let me tell ya, this house is not a quiet, predictable place!

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How can babies’ temperament affect their sleep?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Constitutional factors are ingrained, probably genetically inherited characteristics, and they h...
How much sleep does my infant need?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Infants usually sleep between 12 to 14 hours in a 24 hour period. However, in this video, I will exp...
Is it safe for my baby to sleep in my bed?
First CandleFirst Candle
Adult beds are not safe for sleeping babies for the following reasons: Soft bedding, such as pil...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?