How can I create a good sleeping environment for my baby?

So much of young babies’ sleep is constitution and temperament, not the environment. That’s a concern I have with some of the popular baby sleep books; the shrinks who wrote them mostly dealt with really severe sleep problems in their practices, and developed their approaches based on those cases.

The "run of the mill" cases like yours and mine would just never present to a sleep clinic at a major university. If we generalize to the normal, general public, you get worried and educated parents like you and me thinking that our kids are under-sleeping, developing bad habits, etc.

It doesn’t take much to provide a generally "good enough" environment for sleep for your baby. Anything beyond that is likely to make you nuts, and waste your precious parental energy. And when baby #2 (or #4) comes along? Forget about it! You won’t be able to control the environment very well at all. But those babies still tend to sleep fine. In our house, our third is the best sleeper of the group, and let me tell ya, this house is not a quiet, predictable place!

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

When should I see a doctor about my baby's sleep problem?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The earlier the better. You want to rule out any physical ailments that could be preventing your chi...
How can babies’ temperament affect their sleep?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Constitutional factors are ingrained, probably genetically inherited characteristics, and they h...
What should I do if my baby won't go to sleep on her back?
First CandleFirst Candle
We all have our preferences. However, positional preference appears to be a learned behavior among i...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?