What are some tips for a someone who is having trouble sleeping at night?

Non-pharmacologic Interventions:

• Good sleep hygiene -- your bedroom is for sleep, so you shouldn’t have your computer on late at night; you shouldn’t have your TV on; you shouldn’t be spending a lot of time working in your bed. When it’s time to go to bed, get ready, get comfortable, lights off and go to sleep.
  • Following a regular sleep schedule—Not staying up to late…trying to get to bed at reasonable hour so you can get that 7-9 hours in.
  • If the problem persists, you have a history of snoring or a history of waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air, we may talk about getting a sleep study to see if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. If it seems like something along the lines of anxiety, where you try to go to bed at night but up simply can’t shut off the stresses of the day, then we might talk about treating the primary cause of it: things like anxiety and depression.

The important thing that I say to patients is lack of sleep is not a small, localized issue. It really deserves a proper workup, like the other disorders we treat.

Continue Learning about Sleep

Tell Me Why…I Twitch In My Sleep
Tell Me Why…I Twitch In My Sleep
Ever feel like you’re free-falling in your sleep? Or experience a random twitch right before dozing off? According to the National Sleep Foundation, 7...
What lifestyle factors lead to a lack of sleep?
Timothy L. Grant, MDTimothy L. Grant, MD
Many lifestyle factors have contributed to a lack of sufficient sleep among Americans, including lon...
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
Boost your morning mood with these easy, expert-approved tips.
Are Sleep Drinks an Effective Way to Help Me Fall and Stay Asleep?