What are some tips for a someone who is having trouble sleeping at night?

Non-pharmacologic Interventions:

• Good sleep hygiene -- your bedroom is for sleep, so you shouldn’t have your computer on late at night; you shouldn’t have your TV on; you shouldn’t be spending a lot of time working in your bed. When it’s time to go to bed, get ready, get comfortable, lights off and go to sleep.
  • Following a regular sleep schedule—Not staying up to late…trying to get to bed at reasonable hour so you can get that 7-9 hours in.
  • If the problem persists, you have a history of snoring or a history of waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air, we may talk about getting a sleep study to see if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. If it seems like something along the lines of anxiety, where you try to go to bed at night but up simply can’t shut off the stresses of the day, then we might talk about treating the primary cause of it: things like anxiety and depression.

The important thing that I say to patients is lack of sleep is not a small, localized issue. It really deserves a proper workup, like the other disorders we treat.

Continue Learning about Sleep

The One Simple Thing to Help You Sleep Better
How many times in the last week have you said the words, “I’m tired?” Chances are, quite a few. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep R...
What lifestyle factors lead to a lack of sleep?
Timothy L. Grant, MDTimothy L. Grant, MD
Many lifestyle factors have contributed to a lack of sufficient sleep among Americans, including lon...
What are some natural alternatives to prescription sleep medication?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
There are low-cost, effective, nonchemical alternatives to prescription sleep medication. Drug thera...
Why Should I Get up at the Same Time Every Day?