What role does sleep play in brain health?

Sleep plays a tremendous role in brain health. Untreated sleep disorders can increase the risk of developing psychiatric conditions such as depression later in life, and a lot of reports find that as many as 2/3 of patients referred to sleep disorder centers have a psychiatric disorder. They’re co-morbid -- having one makes the other more difficult to treat, and makes the patient more likely to suffer from one or the other.

Lack of sleep impacts depression; it impacts anxiety; it impacts the onset of dementia. And consistent sleep plays an overall role in brain health, particularly brain health as we age.

Continue Learning about Sleep

You Snooze (Your Alarm), You Lose
You Snooze (Your Alarm), You Lose
Internet mythology says the phrase “you snooze, you lose” was first heard in a 1968 TV commercial for an Oshkosh, WI, mattress store’s annual sale. Bu...
What are the health benefits of sex?
Sex, especially in a loving, secure relationship (no fear, no anxiety, no "is he going to call me?" ...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
How Can I Calm My Mind to Help Me Sleep?