How can I adjust to daylight saving time?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
You can take five simple steps to boost energy and prepare for daylight saving time.

1. Go to bed earlier so that your body gets in sync with the time change sooner. In one survey, 34% of women explained that they experienced increased fatigue and 25% had increased irritability during the spring forward phase of daylight saving time. Getting adequate sleep helps to prevent this. So, though it's tempting to stay up later, going to bed early can save you -- and those around you -- from grumpiness and energy burnout.

2. Move dinnertime up by an hour before the time change to help your body adjust quicker.

3. Eat a nutritious breakfast with the vitamins and nutrients you need to energize you.

4. Keep your exercise routine intact. The body always adjusts to stress better when we get regular physical activity. So, even if you're just going for a brisk walk, maintain an active routine.

5. Prepare for busy mornings the night before. Get your kids involved in family planning by having them help prepare lunch for the next day and laying out their book bags and school clothes at night.

Finally, studies show that the incidence of morning accidents increases at this time of year, presumably because we're already a sleep-deprived nation and the loss of one hour of sleep makes mornings a sluggish, slow-reaction-time part of the day. Limit your alcohol consumption this week, as your body tends to be more sensitive to alcohol's effects when you're fatigued.

Continue Learning about Sleep

Sleep and Vitamin D: The One-Two Punch for Pain
Once referred to as “The Greatest Strike Partnership in Football,” the duo of soccer strikers Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke scored 53 goals for Mancheste...
Why do men fall asleep after sex?
It's no secret that men often fall asleep after orgasm. Watch as Dr. Oz talks with emergency roo...
Fascinating Things Your Body Does While You're Sleeping
Fascinating Things Your Body Does While You're SleepingFascinating Things Your Body Does While You're SleepingFascinating Things Your Body Does While You're SleepingFascinating Things Your Body Does While You're Sleeping
Every stage of sleep has a crucial role in your body's function.
How Can I Calm My Mind to Help Me Sleep?