Can drinking cherry juice help me sleep?

Researchers looked at the sleep habits of 15 older adults who drank 8 ounces of tart cherry juice in the morning and evening for two weeks. Then they drank a comparable matched drink with no tart cherry juice for another two-week period. The results? A significant reduction in reported insomnia severity during the weeks when they drank the cherry juice. The adults saved about 17 minutes of wake time after going to sleep, on average, when drinking cherry juice daily compared to when they were drinking the other non-cherry beverage.

So what’s the magic in cherry juice? Cherries contain melatonin, a natural antioxidant with a well-documented history of helping to regulate the sleep-wake cycle. Produced naturally by the body in small amounts, melatonin plays a role in inducing sleepiness at night and wakefulness during the day.

Continue Learning about Sleep

A Well-Balanced Diet Promotes Better Sleep
It seems like there’s always a new study suggesting more ways we can boost our sleep quality, or different habits and foods that rob us of a restful n...
What role does sleep play in brain health?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Sleep plays a tremendous role in brain health. Untreated sleep disorders can increase the risk of de...
How Should I Track My Caffeine Intake?
How Should I Track My Caffeine Intake?
Why Should I Get up at the Same Time Every Day?