What's the difference between primary and secondary sleep disorders?

All sleep disorders can be either primary or secondary. If it's the result of another underlying physical or mental condition, it's considered a secondary sleep disorder. For example, a person may suffer from insomnia when dealing with depression. On the other hand, primary sleep disorders don't stem from other conditions but can often lead to secondary ones. For example, someone who has restless legs syndrome (RLS) may also develop insomnia because of an inability to sleep soundly. Fortunately, treating the symptoms of the primary sleep disorder will often improve symptoms of other disorders that may be present.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work
5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work
These natural sleep aids can help you find peaceful slumber. How many nights do you stare at the ceiling hoping to fall asleep – or wake up at 3 a.m. ...
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?