What is the treatment for Kleine-Levin syndrome (KLS)?

There is no definitive treatment for Kleine-Levin syndrome and watchful waiting at home, rather than pharmacotherapy, is most often advised. Stimulant pills, including amphetamines, methylphenidate, and modafinil, are used to treat sleepiness, but may increase irritability and not improve cognitive abnormalities. Due to the similarities between KLS and certain mood disorders, lithium and carbamazepine may be prescribed and, in some cases, have been shown to prevent further episodes. This disorder should be differentiated from cyclic re-occurrence of sleepiness during the premenstrual period in teen-aged girls, which may be controlled with birth control pills. It also should be differentiated from encephalopathy, recurrent depression, or psychosis.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Improve Your Memory with a Good Night's Sleep
You've got something big happening tomorrow: Maybe a presentation to your boss. Or a speech at your best friend's wedding. Or the lieutenant's test. Y...
What are the signs of sleep deprivation in children?
Whitney  Roban, PhDWhitney Roban, PhD
Many parents have told me that they have been advised to wait until their babies or children show si...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
Can a Lack of Adequate Sleep Harm My Health?