What is a sleep history?

Nancy Nadolski
Sleep Medicine

A good night's sleep starts the minute we get out of bed in the morning. A sleep diary not only records what's going on during the determined sleep time, but also shines a light on barriers and behaviors that are crawling in bed with you and taking up too much room.

Sleep diaries are the starting point for treating any kind of sleep disorder. Here's what a good sleep diary will tell about you:

• Bedtime vs. time you fall asleep
  • Time in bed vs. time asleep
  • Timing of all medicines taken during the 24 hours
  • Meal times
  • Exercise time
  • Timing and amount of bright light during the day
  • Routines and rituals to let go of the day
  • Time you woke up vs. when you got out of bed
  • Times you work during the night and for how long you were awake

And so much more. If you'd like to start keeping a sleep diary to gather evidence for your health care provider, you can find one at the National Sleep Foundation Website.

Good luck and get ready to have your eyes opened to what's happening with your shuteye.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

7 Bad Habits to Break for Better Sleep
7 Bad Habits to Break for Better Sleep
Doing the toss-and-turn samba in bed lately? Nix these 7 bad habits for a more peaceful slumber. Avoid caffeine after lunch. Caffeine lingers in yo...
What is the most common sleep disorder?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
Obstructive sleep apnea is probably the most common sleep disorder. The rise in incidence of chr...
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
All I wanted was seven solid hours of sleep. And I actually got it.
Which Vitamins and Minerals Can Help Me Sleep Better?