What are the effects of sleep deprivation on shift workers?

In addition to making people more prone to accidents and injury, sleep deprivation causes a number of negative effects -- both physical and psychological -- that can impair the on-the-job performance of shift workers. Sleep deprivation:
  • Slows reaction time
  • Interferes with memory
  • Causes fatigue
  • Compromises judgment
  • Impairs the ability to retain new information

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest. Are you a chronic sleep skimper? Short sleep can throw off your two appetite-regulating hormones (ghrel...
Which Vitamins and Minerals Can Help Me Sleep Better?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?