What is rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder (RBD)?

REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) is an REM sleep disorder that is a possible early sign of Parkinson’s disease. There are a few things that happen with RBD:

• Usually when we sleep, the body shuts down our muscle movement during REM sleep so that we can’t act out our dreams.
  • In people with RBD, this shut-down doesn’t happen.
  • In this case, people have dreams that are very vivid and violent, compelling them to talk, punch, kick, scream, and even jump out of bed.
  • Interestingly, RBD is usually seen in middle-aged to elderly people, and is more likely to happen in men than in women.

In addition to being a possible early sign of Parkinson’s, RBD prevents people from getting restful sleep, mostly because they are so active during their dreams. Either way, it is important to keep studying this REM sleep disorder and other sleep disorders. The long-term dangers are too scary to ignore.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Insomnia? There’s an App for That!
Insomnia? There’s an App for That!
In Christopher Nolan’s 2002 thriller Insomnia, Al Pacino plays a detective who accidentally shoots his partner while trying to apprehend a suspect. Hi...
A Wake-Up Call About the Dangers of Late-Night Work
When my friend Mike started working the graveyard shift nearly ten years ago, he thought “graveyard” just meant that he should expect a quiet night on...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest. Are you a chronic sleep skimper? Short sleep can throw off your two appetite-regulating hormones (ghrel...
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?