What is the prognosis of hypersomnia?

The prognosis for persons with hypersomnia depends on the cause of the disorder. While the disorder itself is not life threatening, it can have serious consequences, such as automobile accidents caused by falling asleep while driving. The attacks usually continue indefinitely.
This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Stop Snoring to Prevent Metabolic Syndrome
If your snoring makes your bedroom sound like Grand Central Station at rush hour, you might have more than a sleep problem. Loud snoring, trouble fall...
Do This If You Can’t Sleep
Do This If You Can’t Sleep
Photo Credit: Ana C, via Flickr Creative Commons My Irish Dad seemed to have a pithy saying for any occasion. When we protested as kids that we could...
A Good Reason to Stay in Bed
A Good Reason to Stay in Bed
Is your sleep quality kind of poor? Then go ahead and sleep in. Research shows it might be best for your health. Yep, a study links poor sleep to a g...
How can I stop or reduce snoring when I sleep?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Snoring is a major sleep disrupter for men and women, especially after age forty. Two key risk f...