What increases my risk for sleep disorders?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Because there are different kinds of sleep disorders with different causes, your risk may be impacted by different factors. Some sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, seem to have a genetic component. This means that if someone in your family sufferers from the disorder, your risk for getting it is increased. With insomnia, many factors can cause you to experience an elevated risk. These include being female, feeling stress, working at night, or having a mental health disorder.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest. Are you a chronic sleep skimper? Short sleep can throw off your two appetite-regulating hormones (ghrel...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?