What foods should I avoid if I have trouble sleeping?

Just as there are many foods that help you sleep well, there are also foods to avoid. Refined carbohydrates can drain B vitamins in the body and can interfere with sleep. Foods high in sugar can raise blood sugar levels and disturb sleep. Also avoid spicy foods, fatty foods, and any large, heavy meal just before going to bed. Eating a large meal fires up your metabolism, which makes it difficult to fall asleep. A good guideline is to avoid eating two to three hours before bedtime.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Sleep Like a Baby with Tart Cherry Juice
A warm glass of milk may not be the only beverage that can help make you sleepy. Sipping some tart cherry juice also might help you nod off. In fact,...
Why are children at risk for undiagnosed sleep problems?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A recent study points to a partial explanation for why children are at risk for undiagnosed slee...
7 Surprising Reasons You Can’t Sleep Through the Night
7 Surprising Reasons You Can’t Sleep Through the Night7 Surprising Reasons You Can’t Sleep Through the Night7 Surprising Reasons You Can’t Sleep Through the Night7 Surprising Reasons You Can’t Sleep Through the Night
And we're not talking about caffeine.
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?