What is delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) in menopause?

One of the most straightforward types of insomnia is delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS). This is when your circadian rhythm, or internal clock, gets delayed. Hormonal changes caused by diminishing levels of estrogen and progesterone can make falling asleep and staying asleep more difficult for women during menopause.

If you have DSPS, you might not be sleepy until the wee hours of the morning. The real problem arises when work, family, or other obligations requires you to wake up bright and early, leaving you with only a few hours of sleep.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
What are natural treatments for sleep disorders?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The very best and most natural treatment for insomnia is the medication-free kind: good sleep hygien...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?