What is delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) in menopause?

One of the most straightforward types of insomnia is delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS). This is when your circadian rhythm, or internal clock, gets delayed. Hormonal changes caused by diminishing levels of estrogen and progesterone can make falling asleep and staying asleep more difficult for women during menopause.

If you have DSPS, you might not be sleepy until the wee hours of the morning. The real problem arises when work, family, or other obligations requires you to wake up bright and early, leaving you with only a few hours of sleep.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Get More ZZZs with These Sleep Guidelines
You might disagree with Mindy Kaling, who claims that there isn’t a sunrise beautiful enough for her to wake up and see. But by insisting on getting e...
6 Foods to Power Through Your Afternoon Slump
6 Foods to Power Through Your Afternoon Slump6 Foods to Power Through Your Afternoon Slump6 Foods to Power Through Your Afternoon Slump6 Foods to Power Through Your Afternoon Slump
Overcome your 2 p.m. fatigue with these energy-boosting foods. By Taylor Lupo  When 2 p.m. hits, your energy and alertness may dip to devastatingly l...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?