What are night sweats?

Night sweats are a condition that is often associated with hot flashes. They really are just hot flashes that occur during sleeping hours. Turning down the temperature in your bedroom can help, but will not eliminate night sweats. Some people wear moisture wicking undergarments, pajamas or clothes to feel more comfortable. Another approach is to dress in layers. This allows the person with night sweats to remove the outer layers when it gets too hot.

A night sweat is a hot flash experienced at night that usually causes perspiration in the back of the head and chest and dampens sleepwear, pillows, and sheets. A woman may wake up and have to change her clothing and bedding. Some women may have difficulty falling back to sleep after a night sweat.
Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Understanding Exploding Head Syndrome—and How to Avoid It
If you think The Big Bang Theory is an explanation of how the universe came into being or a nine-time Emmy Award winning comedy staring Kaley Cuoco, J...
When should I see a doctor for my sleep problems?
If you suspect you have a sleep disorder and it is interfering with your life, you should talk to yo...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?