What sleep problems can become more common as we age?

As we age, we can experience a variety of problems that either mess with our sleep or are sleep-related themselves, like depression (where you sleep too much) and anxiety (which can keep you awake). Circadian rhythm problems are frequent in shift workers, and up to 30 percent of people over 50 have restless legs syndrome—the periodic movement of limbs during deep sleep. This inability to stay asleep serves as the source of many sleep difficulties, but many can be treated with shifts in your sleep "hygiene," as well as with other tactics.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Improve Your Cognitive Function with More ZZZs
You can make your brain as sharp as someone 4 to 7 years younger if you just get more sleep. Most Americans fall short of the recommended 6 to 8 hour...
What can I do if I find evidence of my nighttime snacking?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Sometimes people wake up in the night and eat but are unaware that they are doing it until they see ...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?