How are sleep disorders diagnosed in people with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
The symptoms of a sleep disorder are sometimes similar to symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). To make a diagnosis, the doctor uses a series of questionnaires and interviews to get information from the patient and parents or family members. Sleep studies may be used to diagnose more serious sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Some experts believe that ADHD and OSA exhibit similar symptoms, so making the proper diagnosis and prescribing effective treatment may greatly benefit the person's quality of life.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest. Are you a chronic sleep skimper? Short sleep can throw off your two appetite-regulating hormones (ghrel...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?
Which Vitamins and Minerals Can Help Me Sleep Better?