How are sleep disorders diagnosed in people with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
The symptoms of a sleep disorder are sometimes similar to symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). To make a diagnosis, the doctor uses a series of questionnaires and interviews to get information from the patient and parents or family members. Sleep studies may be used to diagnose more serious sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Some experts believe that ADHD and OSA exhibit similar symptoms, so making the proper diagnosis and prescribing effective treatment may greatly benefit the person's quality of life.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

A Wake-Up Call About the Dangers of Late-Night Work
When my friend Mike started working the graveyard shift nearly ten years ago, he thought “graveyard” just meant that he should expect a quiet night on...
What is a sleep history?
Nancy NadolskiNancy Nadolski
A good night's sleep starts the minute we get out of bed in the morning. A sleep diary not only rec...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
Can a Lack of Adequate Sleep Harm My Health?