What are the signs of sleep deprivation in children?

Common symptoms are excessive tiredness, a tendency to fall asleep during the day and sleep-related injuries (such as those that result from dozing off while driving). Other obvious signs include crankiness or being short-fused.

Parents sometimes don’t make the connection between sleep problems and schoolwork. A tired child might have trouble focusing or paying attention at school, which can lead to lower grades.

If parents think that their child might have a sleeping problem, physicians have many diagnoses to consider. Medications, anxiety, airway problems, restless leg syndrome, bed-wetting reasons -- the list goes on. It’s important to understand the pattern of problems because that affects treatment.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
What Should I Know Before Using Melatonin Supplements?
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?