How do I know if I should seek help for a sleep disorder?

Do you feel tired during the day? Do you wake up feeling unrested? Do you snore? Do you find it hard to get out of bed in the morning? Do you have trouble sleeping? When you wake up, do you feel irritable or stressed? Do you feel your sleep disturbance is affecting your life?

If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may have a sleep disorder. Many sleep disorders are treatable. You must first see a physician certified in sleep medicine in order to evaluate the sleep problems. You should seek consultation if:

• You snore and are overweight
• You answer "yes" to any of the following questions:

1.Are you sleepy in the "daytime" in spite of eight hours in bed every night?
2.Do you snore loudly?
3.Does someone advise you that you actually stop breathing when you sleep?
4.Do you have violent behaviors during your sleep?
5.Are you always very sleepy and have muscle weakness when you get emotional (laugh, cry)?
6.Are you kept awake by restless legs or arms (a creeping, crawling sensation on the legs)?

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
“O gentle sleep … how have I frightened thee that thou no more will weigh my eyelids down?” Shakespeare’s 17th century lamen...
Why are children at risk for undiagnosed sleep problems?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A recent study points to a partial explanation for why children are at risk for undiagnosed slee...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?