How do I know if I should seek help for a sleep disorder?

Do you feel tired during the day? Do you wake up feeling unrested? Do you snore? Do you find it hard to get out of bed in the morning? Do you have trouble sleeping? When you wake up, do you feel irritable or stressed? Do you feel your sleep disturbance is affecting your life?

If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may have a sleep disorder. Many sleep disorders are treatable. You must first see a physician certified in sleep medicine in order to evaluate the sleep problems. You should seek consultation if:

• You snore and are overweight
• You answer "yes" to any of the following questions:

1.Are you sleepy in the "daytime" in spite of eight hours in bed every night?
2.Do you snore loudly?
3.Does someone advise you that you actually stop breathing when you sleep?
4.Do you have violent behaviors during your sleep?
5.Are you always very sleepy and have muscle weakness when you get emotional (laugh, cry)?
6.Are you kept awake by restless legs or arms (a creeping, crawling sensation on the legs)?

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Ask Oz and Roizen: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Q: My sister may have chronic fatigue syndrome, if that’s a real thing. She’s been complaining that she’s always tired, nervous and has trouble thinki...
Can exercise help prevent sleep disorders in police officers?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Researchers at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital screened 4957 police offi...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
Which Vitamins and Minerals Can Help Me Sleep Better?