Is there any treatment for hypersomnia?

Treatment for hypersomnia is symptomatic in nature. Stimulants, such as amphetamine, methylphenidate, and modafinil, may be prescribed. Other drugs used to treat hypersomnia include clonidine, levodopa, bromocriptine, antidepressants, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Changes in behavior (for example, avoiding night work and social activities that delay bedtime) and diet may offer some relief. Patients should avoid alcohol and caffeine.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Feeling Tired? 3 Sleep Myths You Shouldn't Fall For
We might spend one-third of our lives doing it, yet some of us still aren't terribly clear how it works. We're talking about sleeping. Here are three ...
How do medications treat restless legs syndrome?
American Academy of Sleep MedicineAmerican Academy of Sleep Medicine
There are a variety of medications available to treat restless legs syndrome. Your doctor may prescr...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
Can a Lack of Adequate Sleep Harm My Health?