Is there any treatment for hypersomnia?

Treatment for hypersomnia is symptomatic in nature. Stimulants, such as amphetamine, methylphenidate, and modafinil, may be prescribed. Other drugs used to treat hypersomnia include clonidine, levodopa, bromocriptine, antidepressants, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Changes in behavior (for example, avoiding night work and social activities that delay bedtime) and diet may offer some relief. Patients should avoid alcohol and caffeine.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Yard Item That Offers Sleep Help
The Yard Item That Offers Sleep Help
Need a nap but just can't seem to drift off? Then head out to your yard and take a swing in your hammock. Turns out rocking isn't just for infants. N...
How can I stop or reduce snoring when I sleep?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Snoring is a major sleep disrupter for men and women, especially after age forty. Two key risk f...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?