Is it safe for me to drive if I have excessive daytime sleepiness (ESD)?

Treating the cause of your excessive daytime sleepiness (ESD) should return you to normal functioning, including driving. However, you are encouraged to discuss your symptoms with your healthcare professional and consider consulting with a sleep specialist, if appropriate. Refrain from driving until your condition has been diagnosed and effective treatment initiated. People with untreated sleep disorders have a significantly increased rate of motor vehicle accidents.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

A Good Reason to Stay in Bed
A Good Reason to Stay in Bed
Is your sleep quality kind of poor? Then go ahead and sleep in. Research shows it might be best for your health. Yep, a study links poor sleep to a g...
How can women treat their sleeping problems?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Lack of sleep may be worse for women than men. One Duke study found that women who are poor slee...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?