How does jet lag affect the brain?

Researchers learned that jet lag affects the part of the brain responsible for memory and learning:

• It limits the growth of brain cells and reduces brain activity.
• It leads to memory and learning problems.
• Even a month after recovering, subjects were still suffering from its effects.

Lance Kriegsfeld, UC Berkley associate professor of psychology, commented:

“What this says is that, whether you are a flight attendant, medical resident, or rotating shift worker, repeated disruption of circadian rhythms is likely going to have a long-term impact on your cognitive behavior and function."

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Sleep Better to Lower Stroke Risk
Sleep Better to Lower Stroke Risk
It can be easy to write off a rough night’s rest with a strong cup of coffee and a shrug the next morning. But the results from one European study may...
What is the difference between sleepiness and fatigue?
Sleepiness and fatigue are two distinct conditions. Sleepiness refers to the inability to stay awake...
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
All I wanted was seven solid hours of sleep. And I actually got it.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?