How common is sleep-disordered breathing in children?

A recent study found sleep-disordered breathing in children as young as six months. Observing children ages 6 months to 6.75 years, the study found:
  • Chronic sleep apnea among 1-2% of children at all age levels
  • "Habitual" snoring among as many as 21% of children
  • An increase in the frequency of snoring in children between the ages of 1.5 and 2.5 years
  • Mouth breathing in 25% of children by the age of 6

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

7 Bad Habits to Break for Better Sleep
7 Bad Habits to Break for Better Sleep
Doing the toss-and-turn samba in bed lately? Nix these 7 bad habits for a more peaceful slumber. Avoid caffeine after lunch. Caffeine lingers in yo...
Can sleep disorders be prevented?
It may be possible to prevent some, but not all, sleep disorders. For instance, you may be able to p...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?