How can CBT help with sleep problems in cancer patients?

Researchers have recommended cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), as well as gentle, mind-body focused exercise, as possible remedies for cancer patients struggling with their sleep. And there is data to prove that it works. In one study, an internet-based insomnia CBT therapy helped improve:
  • insomnia severity
  • the amount of time it takes to fall asleep
  • the amount of time patients spent in bed asleep
  • the “soundness” of their sleep
  • and feelings of restoration upon awakening
I’ve long been a proponent of cognitive behavioral therapy and mind-body therapies as treatments for insomnia and other sleep problems. There’s evidence that CBT can be more effective than drug therapies for sleep -- a particular advantage for cancer patients who may not be able or inclined to add another medication to their routine. CBT has also been shown to be effective in alleviating pain -- which of course helps sleep as well -- and may also provide the cancer patient added relief during their waking hours. Mind-body therapies such as yoga and tai chi are other drug-free options that have shown promise in treating sleep and chronic pain.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work
5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work5 Natural Sleep Aids That Really Work
These natural sleep aids can help you find peaceful slumber. How many nights do you stare at the ceiling hoping to fall asleep – or wake up at 3 a.m. ...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest. Are you a chronic sleep skimper? Short sleep can throw off your two appetite-regulating hormones (ghrel...
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?