How can CBT help with sleep problems in cancer patients?

Researchers have recommended cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), as well as gentle, mind-body focused exercise, as possible remedies for cancer patients struggling with their sleep. And there is data to prove that it works. In one study, an internet-based insomnia CBT therapy helped improve:
  • insomnia severity
  • the amount of time it takes to fall asleep
  • the amount of time patients spent in bed asleep
  • the “soundness” of their sleep
  • and feelings of restoration upon awakening
I’ve long been a proponent of cognitive behavioral therapy and mind-body therapies as treatments for insomnia and other sleep problems. There’s evidence that CBT can be more effective than drug therapies for sleep -- a particular advantage for cancer patients who may not be able or inclined to add another medication to their routine. CBT has also been shown to be effective in alleviating pain -- which of course helps sleep as well -- and may also provide the cancer patient added relief during their waking hours. Mind-body therapies such as yoga and tai chi are other drug-free options that have shown promise in treating sleep and chronic pain.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
“O gentle sleep … how have I frightened thee that thou no more will weigh my eyelids down?” Shakespeare’s 17 th century lament on lost sleep surely hi...
How are night terrors treated?
Night terrors is generally a benign condition that is not treated with medication or otherwise. If t...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?