How does bedtime sleepiness relate to sleep disorders?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Sleep experts advise you shouldn’t go to bed unless you are sleepy. Try to build your bedtime schedule around a time that’s your natural sleep time. Read a book or listen to soft music to help you relax.

If you aren’t asleep in twenty minutes, get out of bed, go to another room, and do something relaxing or boring (reading, etc.). Once you feel sleepy again, go back to bed. Avoid the television or computer because they can over-stimulate you. Don’t watch the clock either because it can increase your anxiety about not being able to sleep.

The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Want Sweet Dreams But Keep Having Nightmares?
If being visited by Leonardo DiCaprio sounds appealing, you probably don’t imagine him as a terrifying thief in Inception who plucks secrets from the ...
When should I see a doctor for my sleep problems?
Make an appointment with your doctor if you've tried self-help remedies for your sleep problems with...
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
All I wanted was seven solid hours of sleep. And I actually got it.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?