How can I avoid jet lag?

The following tips can help you to avoid jet lag:
  • Anticipate the time change at your destination by getting up and going to bed earlier (eastbound) or later (westbound) a few days before you leave.
  • Try to use a flight that gets you there in the early evening.
  • Change your watch to the destination time en route.
  • Once you've arrived, don't go to sleep until 10 p.m. local time.
  • Walk around outside and get as much sunlight exposure as possible -- this signals your body to stay awake.
  • Light exercise is fine, but avoid heavy exercise -- as well as alcohol or caffeine -- close to bedtime.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent jet lag. If you are traveling through only one or two time zones, when you arrive at your destination, ignore the clock and stay on your regular eating and sleeping schedule. If you have a long stay through several time zones, change your schedule to the new time before you go. Simply changing your schedule one hour per day could shorten your adjustment time at the end of your trip.

For longer trips, there are things that you can do before, during, and after your travel to reduce the effects of jet lag.

Before You Fly

• Get plenty of rest.
  • Be calm. Avoid that last-minute rush.
  • Be well hydrated.
  • If you are experiencing health problems, check with your doctor before you fly.

While You Fly

• Drink eight ounces of water for each hour that you are on the plane.
  • Avoid drinking alcohol, as it decreases hydration.
  • Set your watch to the new time zone upon departure.
  • Wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move.
  • Walk around the cabin of the plane.
  • Sleep on the plane if you are scheduled to arrive in the morning.
  • Take along an eye mask, neck rest, slippers or foam rubber earplugs to help you sleep.
  • Stay awake on the plane if you are scheduled to arrive in the evening.
  • Keep yourself busy with an activity, reading, needlework or conversation.

After You Fly

• Start moving as soon as you get off the plane, e.g., avoid the escalators and moving sidewalks.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Shower or bathe to help hydrate your body.
  • Get some exercise outdoors.
  • Some people find that taking melatonin (0.5 mg) 30 minutes before the intended sleep time in the new time zone to be helpful. To be effective, the melatonin treatment must be followed by 15 minutes of exposure to bright light at the intended wake-up time.
  • Keep your mind off the time difference. Don't think about what time it is at home.

For westward travel, eat lighter meals earlier in the day and heavier meals later. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration from dry and stagnant air, but do not drink caffeinated beverages. Plan exercise for later in the day and avoid alcohol. Upon arrival, consume food on the local time schedule. For eastward travel, eat heavier meals earlier in the day and lighter meals later. Drink plenty of fluids, but no caffeinated beverages. Plan exercise for earlier in the day and avoid alcohol. Upon arrival, consume food on the local time schedule. (This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program)
When traveling overseas, jet lag is often a concern. Before you get on the plane for a long trip, make sure you are well rested, relaxed and have stuck to your healthful eating plan during, often hectic, travel preparations.

While flying, being dehydrated can promote jet lag. Minimize the effects by drinking a glass of water or juice before your flight and then each hour during the flight.

Go easy on alcoholic beverages in-flight, as alcohol can promote dehydration. Continue drinking fluids once you have reached your destination and drink extra fluids for several days.

There are no anti-jet lag magic formulas, but staying well-hydrated is a good start.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: What Causes Jet Lag—Plus 7 Ways to Avoid It
You probably love racking up frequent flyer miles but dread the jet lag that comes with traveling between time zones. According to the American Sleep ...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems. Many pe...
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?