Sleep Disorders

What herbal sleep aids are available?

• A , Psychology, answered
    Valarian Tea
    There are more than 100 herbal remedies and supplements that are advertised as being able to help with better sleeping. However, there is very little data on many of them. Here are the few that do have consistent, scientific data that I trust: 
    Valerian Root

Valarian Tea
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Try taking 300 milligrams valerian root if you have trouble sleeping. It contains ingredients with sedative properties. While the science isn't conclusive, it's generally considered one of the more effective herbal therapies for sleep.

Studies have shown that the ingredients in ginseng help decrease the amount of wakefulness in a 12-hour period and increase the amount of slow-wave sleep. Try taking 200 to 600 milligrams of the extract.
What should I do if I have a sleep problem?