What do I need to know about caring for someone with a sleep disorder?

If you are caring for someone who has a sleep disorder, you should make an appointment for them to see their doctor. Getting diagnosed is the first step toward treating, or in some cases even curing, the problem. In the meantime, take steps such as making sure the person is sleeping in a dark room, avoiding medications that might make their sleeping disorder worse, and not drinking alcohol before bedtime. If the person is overweight or smokes, encourage them to adopt a healthier lifestyle, as obesity and smoking are both risk factors for certain sleep disorders.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Are Sleep Issues and Depression Connected? Two Experts Weigh In
Sleep is far more than a luxury, even if we treat it that way, skipping shuteye in favor of answering work emails, binging TV shows, or even waking up...
What are the risks of sleep eating?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
There are several dangers associated with sleep eating. Sleep walking of any kind poses the risk...
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
All I wanted was seven solid hours of sleep. And I actually got it.
What Should I Know Before Using Melatonin Supplements?