What do I need to know about caring for someone with a sleep disorder?

If you are caring for someone who has a sleep disorder, you should make an appointment for them to see their doctor. Getting diagnosed is the first step toward treating, or in some cases even curing, the problem. In the meantime, take steps such as making sure the person is sleeping in a dark room, avoiding medications that might make their sleeping disorder worse, and not drinking alcohol before bedtime. If the person is overweight or smokes, encourage them to adopt a healthier lifestyle, as obesity and smoking are both risk factors for certain sleep disorders.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Lack of Sleep Affects Memory and More
Lack of Sleep Affects Memory and More
Playoff games (think NBA and Stanley Cup finals), as well as the World Series and the NFL’s Sunday, Monday and Thursday night games later in the year,...
How should I prepare for a doctor's visit for a sleep disorder?
The best thing you can do to prepare for your doctor's appointment for your sleep disorder is to...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?