What do I need to know about caring for someone with a sleep disorder?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you are caring for someone who has a sleep disorder, you should make an appointment for them to see their doctor. Getting diagnosed is the first step toward treating, or in some cases even curing, the problem. In the meantime, take steps such as making sure the person is sleeping in a dark room, avoiding medications that might make their sleeping disorder worse, and not drinking alcohol before bedtime. If the person is overweight or smokes, encourage them to adopt a healthier lifestyle, as obesity and smoking are both risk factors for certain sleep disorders.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems. Many pe...
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?