Can sleep disorders be prevented?

It may be possible to prevent some, but not all, sleep disorders. For instance, you may be able to prevent insomnia by making lifestyle changes that will increase the likelihood of getting a good night's sleep. For example, try sleeping in a dark room, avoiding heavy meals before bedtime, and going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day. If you have a condition that is a risk factor for a sleep disorder, such as obesity and sleep apnea, try treating the condition before sleep problems start. Some sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, have unclear causes and therefore cannot be prevented.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Could You Have Insomnia Identity?
Could You Have Insomnia Identity?
Do you often worry about whether you’ll be able to fall asleep? Have you convinced yourself that you have insomnia? Doing so can lead to serious healt...
When should I see a doctor for my sleep problems?
If you suspect you have a sleep disorder and it is interfering with your life, you should talk to yo...
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
I Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did ThisI Had Too Many Restless Nights—Until I Did This
All I wanted was seven solid hours of sleep. And I actually got it.
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?