What do I bring to my doctor if I believe I have shift work disorder?

A board-certified sleep medicine doctor can give you tips to help your body adjust to your work schedule and to improve your sleep.

Before your appointment, the doctor will ask you to keep a sleep diary for two weeks. You will record:
  • when you go to sleep
  • when you wake up
  • how long you were awake due to sleeping difficulties
Your sleep diary helps reveal your habits and helps your sleep medicine doctor choose the best treatment. Your doctor will also ask questions about your medical history. Tell your doctor about all medicines you take or have taken.

Normally, a sleep diary and your work schedule is all that your doctor will need. If your doctor thinks other sleep disorders are causing your sleep troubles, you may need an in-lab sleep study or a multiple sleep latency test (MSLT).

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Sweet Dreams Without Sleeping Pills
Sweet Dreams Without Sleeping Pills
Madonna admits, "… I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia…" Seems the lady who crooned Bedtime Story hasn’t discovered how to get 40 winks. And then there’...
How can osteoarthritis disrupt my sleep?
Joint stiffness can make it hard to get comfortable in bed. But the biggest problem is pain. Pain fr...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?