What do I bring to my doctor if I believe I have shift work disorder?

A board-certified sleep medicine doctor can give you tips to help your body adjust to your work schedule and to improve your sleep.

Before your appointment, the doctor will ask you to keep a sleep diary for two weeks. You will record:
  • when you go to sleep
  • when you wake up
  • how long you were awake due to sleeping difficulties
Your sleep diary helps reveal your habits and helps your sleep medicine doctor choose the best treatment. Your doctor will also ask questions about your medical history. Tell your doctor about all medicines you take or have taken.

Normally, a sleep diary and your work schedule is all that your doctor will need. If your doctor thinks other sleep disorders are causing your sleep troubles, you may need an in-lab sleep study or a multiple sleep latency test (MSLT).

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Get a Good Night's Sleep
Get a Good Night's Sleep
With some major exceptions, sleep is a lot like sex. It's something you really look forward to, and it makes you feel great when you're done. Most imp...
How common are sleep disorders in adults?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Approximately one-third of adult Americans complain about sleeping trouble. The National Commiss...
Sleep Better in 9 Steps
Sleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 StepsSleep Better in 9 Steps
Follow these steps to get a good night's rest.
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?