Can I become addicted to sleeping aids?

Dr. Michael Breus discusses whether or not you can become addicted to sleeping aids. Watch Dr. Breus's video for tips on healthy sleep.

It is possible to become physically addicted to some sleeping aids and to become psychologically dependent on others. If you take sleeping aids for more than three days, you may feel that you cannot sleep without them. Withdrawal symptoms may include nervousness, disturbing dreams, irritability, and anxiousness.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Sleep Like a Baby with Tart Cherry Juice
A warm glass of milk may not be the only beverage that can help make you sleepy. Sipping some tart cherry juice also might help you nod off. In fact,...
How does alcohol affect my sleeping aid?
Alcohol can cause complications when it is taken with a sleeping aid. It may increase the drowsiness...
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved5 Embarrassing Sleep Problems, Solved
Some people with sleep problems, it’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Learn how to put an end to embarrassing sleep problems.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?