Why are teenagers particularly prone to sleep deprivation?

We know that teenagers have their own special needs for sleep and that aspects of their lifestyles make them particularly vulnerable to sleep deprivation:
  • During adolescence, our circadian rhythms change, making teens biologically more inclined to stay up late at night and to wake later in the day. (Yes, your teen’s determination to greet midnight wide awake and never see noon is a biological thing!) This internal drive is at odds with the typical early morning school schedule, which can leave teens woefully short on sleep during the week.
  • Teens just need more sleep than adults do. The National Sleep Foundation recommends 8.5 to 9.25 hours of sleep per night for teenagers. Unfortunately, not many are getting this. The NSF estimates that only 15% of teenagers are sleeping 8.5 hours nightly.
  • Their schedules -- with school, sports and friends -- tend to be inconsistent, which makes it more difficult to establish a routine with regular bedtimes and wake times.
  • Teens today are constantly wired to an array of electronic devices. This ever-present technology can interfere with pre-sleep wind-down routines and with sleep itself.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Who will benefit from sleeping in a semi sitting position?
Sleeping on your back is not good for you or your bed partner, who may have to endure every snort an...
Why do air traffic controllers and pilots fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported yet another air traffic controller who fell a...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?