Why it is necessary to get enough sleep to stay healthy?

If you don't get sleep, you'll crave other things like carbohydrates. Sleep will also generate growth hormone. That's that vitality hormone that makes us nice and bouncy and youthful and vigorous and makes us stay beautiful. The best way of getting growth hormone is to sleep the seven hours we speak of.

Do you have trouble making time for sleep or can't fall asleep? You need to change your routine!
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Lisa Oz
Health Education

How do you know what is enough? Well, here is a hint - if you can not function without coffee, you need more sleep. Most of us take sleep completely for granted and view it, depending on our temperament, as either an all-too-infrequent luxury or a necessary evil that prevents us from working the full twenty-four hours in a day. We, as a culture, are chronically sleep-deprived and inanely proud of it. How many times have you stumbled for the coffeepot and lamely explained, "I was up until four in the morning," as if you deserved some sort of merit badge? Persistent lack of sleep can result in impaired cognitive function, depression, irritability, hypertension, and - horror of horrors - weight gain! If you want to make sure your body is in top performance mode, give it the time it needs for rest and rejuvenation.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Why do I sleep better on a beach vacation?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are a few of my ideas:  1. The environment. Remember you are on vacation. This in and of it...
How can sleep deprivation affect my immune system?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Sleep is the way the body repairs itself, and with sleep deprivation, the immune system is the first...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?