Why it is necessary to get enough sleep to stay healthy?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

How do you know what is enough? Well, here is a hint - if you can not function without coffee, you need more sleep. Most of us take sleep completely for granted and view it, depending on our temperament, as either an all-too-infrequent luxury or a necessary evil that prevents us from working the full twenty-four hours in a day. We, as a culture, are chronically sleep-deprived and inanely proud of it. How many times have you stumbled for the coffeepot and lamely explained, "I was up until four in the morning," as if you deserved some sort of merit badge? Persistent lack of sleep can result in impaired cognitive function, depression, irritability, hypertension, and - horror of horrors - weight gain! If you want to make sure your body is in top performance mode, give it the time it needs for rest and rejuvenation.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?