Why should I limit my teen's use of technology before bedtime?

Teenagers are almost twice as likely as their parents to use something like their phones before bed; over half of the teenagers in a poll said that they text right before bed. Some people send so many text messages right before bed that they even begin to text in their sleep!

How often do you use a smartphone or computer right before bed or even in bed? Do you think it may be impacting your quality of sleep or your ability to fall asleep? If so, try limiting your use before bedtime and put the computer and phone to bed in another room and see if that helps. If you have a teenager in the house, try to limit their use of their cell phones as much as possible before bedtime. The poll also showed that teenagers are the most tired group, and most sleep specialists recommend teenagers get as close to 9 hours of sleep a night as possible. Institute an electronic curfew for everyone.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why do air traffic controllers and pilots fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported yet another air traffic controller who fell a...
What is the ideal sleep environment?
Believe it or not, the perfect sleep environment is all-inclusive. A study found that participants s...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?