Why is it important to get sufficient sleep?

It is important to get sufficient sleep because chronic sleep deprivation is linked to poor health, a weakened immune system and impaired moods, judgment, safety and productivity. People who can't find a reason for sleep troubles should consider seeing a doctor about the poor quality or quantity of sleep. 

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Your body needs time to rest and regenerate, and getting enough ZZZZs will give you more energy and make your waking hours more productive and enjoyable. Sleeping just two hours less than normal impairs your judgment and reaction time to the same extent as a blood alcohol level of 0.12. This level is 50 percent higher than the level at which most states say drivers are inebriated. And you need your sleep to prevent aging of your immune system. So, enjoy a full night's sleep every night. It can make your RealAge (physiologic age) at least three years younger.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?