Sleep Basics

What should I do if I wake up at night and can't fall back asleep?

• ADr. Thomas Freedom, MD, Sleep Medicine, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    If you are not able to fall back asleep within a short period of time (longer than 20 minutes), it is often better to get out of bed, sit somewhere comfortable and do something that might help you get back to sleep (reading, listening to soothing music, etc). Only go back to bed when you feel sleepy. This process may need to be done a few times during the night. You should still wake up in the morning at the same time.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Why can some people function well on little sleep?