What is a super sleeper or a short sleeper?

Most of us need about 6-8 hours of sleep a night; the exact number is different for each us. While we may claim that we can function on 5 or so hours of sleep, the truth of the matter is that if you’re only getting 5 hours of sleep each night, you are very, very sleep deprived.

Unless, of course, you find out you are aren’t. An article in the Wall Street Journal is one of many that have discussed a group of people called either ‘super sleepers’ or ‘short sleepers,’ people who actually only need fewer than six hours of sleep each night. True short sleepers not only can function normally on this amount of sleep, the also generally will wake up naturally after about four or five hours. While many people claim or wish that they were in this population, only 1% to 3% of the population are actually short sleepers.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why do I sleep better on a beach vacation?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are a few of my ideas:  1. The environment. Remember you are on vacation. This in and of it...
What is the ideal sleep environment?
Believe it or not, the perfect sleep environment is all-inclusive. A study found that participants s...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?