What is the difference in sleep between married and unmarried workers?

When looking at marital status, researchers found that workers who'd been widowed, divorced or separated from a partner were measurably more likely to be sleeping less than people who were married or those who had never been married.
  • 29.4% of married workers said they slept no more than 6 hours per day, compared to:
  • 28.2% of workers who had never been married and
  • 36.4% of those who were widowed, divorced, or separated

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can help me fall asleep at night?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
For the occasional sleepless night, go ahead and use a sleep medicine if you'd like, either pres...
Can warm milk really help me fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
You might think that tryptophan, a natural substance found in milk that can have a relaxation effect...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?