What are the risks of sleep-deprived driving?

The more sleep-deprived you are, the more likely you are to doze off at the wheel or to put yourself and others in a life-threatening situation. Remember, driving while sleep-deprived is the same as driving with a blood alcohol level well into the inebriated range: Your judgment is impaired and your reflex time for corrective action is diminished, even if you do not actually doze off. So, driving while exhausted is another way - in addition to reducing your ability to manage stress - that sleep deprivation can quickly make your RealAge (physiologic age) substantially older.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How are sleep and human growth hormone (HGH) linked?
Leslie Bonci, MPHLeslie Bonci, MPH
One reason sleep is so crucial to health is that you produce human growth hormone (HGH) while yo...
What are the health benefits of taking a nap?
In a world where 34% of employees work 41 to 60 hours a week and spend up to 80 hours a month co...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?