What is wake propensity?

Alon Avidan, MD
Neurology
Wake propensity explains how sleepy or awake you may feel during the day and at night.

When you wake up at 9 a.m., you are probably very energetic and alert. You may feel a bit sleepy around 3 p.m. That's when you might need to take a nap or drink a cup of coffee. You probably get more energized and get your second wind around 8 or 9 p.m. Melatonin is secreted after 9 p.m. and that's when you start to feel a little bit sleepy and go to bed.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can help me fall asleep at night?
PJs on? Check. Teeth brushed? Yep. Curled up in bed? Oh, yeah. But what about sleeping tips when...
How does my dinner affect my sleep?
You may not think what happens at your dinner table has much to do with your nights of tossing and t...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?