What is a sleep spindle?

Sleep spindles are a kind of noise barrier created by the brain; their presence seems to help us stay asleep when faced with noises and external stimulation that might otherwise wake us.

People whose brains generate more sleep spindles seem better able to sleep through the kinds of noise and interruption that might otherwise wake us up, whether it’s a snoring bed partner or an ill-timed car alarm on the street.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can disrupt sleep in children?
Dad yelling when his Giants win isn't the only thing that can startle your child out of a sleep....
How can I improve the quality of my sleep?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
A new study suggests that using an electronic device like a smartphone, ipad or laptop for a signifi...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?