What is sleep deprivation?

When you are sleep deprived, you can get headaches and irritability; but it also has chronic effects that can increase the risk of health issues. Watch Nina Radcliff, MD, explain how not getting enough sleep can negatively impact our health.
This is an individual concept, varying from one person to the next.  Usually sleep deprivation is when someone is not getting the right amount or quality of sleep they require to feel refreshed the next day.
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sleep deprivation is a form of stress that has become a national epidemic, which is no surprise. According to the National Commission on Sleep Disorder Research, approximately 70 million people in the United States are affected by a sleep problem. The National Institute of Health reports that 40 percent of American adults occasionally have difficulty sleeping, and more than half that number is women. A 2005 poll by the National Sleep Foundation found that women are more likely to experience sleep problems than men. This makes sense, considering we are usually the child-rearing caregivers in the family. On top of that, we're hormonally programmed to have sleeping issues. During pregnancy, nearly 80 percent of women have sleep disturbances, and during menopause an equal percentage suffer from interrupted sleep (thanks primarily to hot flashes).

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What is the ideal sleep environment?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Believe it or not, the perfect sleep environment is all-inclusive. A study found that participants s...
What are the health benefits of taking a nap?
In a world where 34% of employees work 41 to 60 hours a week and spend up to 80 hours a month co...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?