What is sleep deprivation?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Sleep deprivation is a form of stress that has become a national epidemic, which is no surprise. According to the National Commission on Sleep Disorder Research, approximately 70 million people in the United States are affected by a sleep problem. The National Institute of Health reports that 40 percent of American adults occasionally have difficulty sleeping, and more than half that number is women. A 2005 poll by the National Sleep Foundation found that women are more likely to experience sleep problems than men. This makes sense, considering we are usually the child-rearing caregivers in the family. On top of that, we're hormonally programmed to have sleeping issues. During pregnancy, nearly 80 percent of women have sleep disturbances, and during menopause an equal percentage suffer from interrupted sleep (thanks primarily to hot flashes).

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?