What things should I avoid if I want to improve my sleep?

Generally, I don't like telling you not to do something unless it's smoking, slurping trans fats, or spending 16 hours in front of the tube. But for optimum sleep preparation, there are a few things you should avoid to increase your chance of falling—and staying—asleep.
  1. No alcohol or nicotine for one-and-a-half hours before bed.
  2. No exercise that makes you sweat for one-and-a-half hours before bed (doing things that make you sweat in bed are OK).
  3. No caffeine, caffeinated beverages or food, or caffeine in pills for at least three hours before bed, or as long as your body dictates.
  4. No eating for three hours before bed, so you can avoid reflux issues that can disturb sleep.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?