What are the stages of sleep?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
We often think that sleep is the time when the body shuts down, like turning off a switch on a robot. Actually, sleep is a very dynamic process, with lots of brain activity. You sleep in cycles, with each cycle lasting about 90 to 100 minutes. During each cycle, your brain passes through five important stages of sleep: stages 1, 2, 3, and 4 and then dream sleep. Dream sleep is known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, because your eyes move back and forth during this stage of sleep. Stages 1 and 2 are the lightest stages of sleep. When you take a nap, you're in these light stages and it's easy for someone to quickly wake you up. During Stage 1 sleep, you may have a feeling that you're falling and involuntarily jerk, waking yourself up. Stages 3 and 4 are deeper sleep. These are the stages where you need to shake someone to wake him up. When you wake up from stages 3 or 4, you may feel temporarily confused and disoriented for a few minutes. Most of us have had that experience where you're woken up and for a few minutes you're not sure where you are. This happens when you wake up during deep sleep. During REM sleep, your heart beats faster, breathing quickens, and your arms and legs don't move. During REM sleep, you'll have the most vivid dreams. We generally can remember our dreams if we wake up during REM sleep.
Fit As Fido: Follow Your Dog to Better Health

Let your dog teach you to live a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life! Companionship with your pet can be used as a means and a motivator to increase your own physical and mental fitness....

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How can I improve the quality of my sleep?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
A new study suggests that using an electronic device like a smartphone, ipad or laptop for a signifi...
How can sleep deprivation affect my immune system?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Sleep is the way the body repairs itself, and with sleep deprivation, the immune system is the first...
How Can I Improve My Teen's Sleep Habits?