How can I talk to my child about the importance of sleep?

I’m not going to preach about parenting and what you should or should not let your kids do. But if you have a child who seems withdrawn, unhappy, angry, and uncommunicative, you may want to open a discussion about their sleep habits.

Here are some questions you can ask your children about their sleep habits:

• Are they getting enough sleep?

• Do they understand the value of sleep on their mood and ability to feel good about themselves?

• Ask them how well they’d rate their sleep from 1 to 10. Do they find it easy to fall asleep and stay asleep?

• How hard is it for them to get up in the morning and feel refreshed?

• Do gloomy thoughts ruin their day? Have they ever used alcohol or drugs to feel better about themselves and the world?

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How can I improve my sleep?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
You can improve your sleep by doing the following: Tell your doctor about your sleep problems. B...
Can warm milk really help me fall asleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
You might think that tryptophan, a natural substance found in milk that can have a relaxation effect...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?