How can I talk to my child about the importance of sleep?

I’m not going to preach about parenting and what you should or should not let your kids do. But if you have a child who seems withdrawn, unhappy, angry, and uncommunicative, you may want to open a discussion about their sleep habits.

Here are some questions you can ask your children about their sleep habits:

• Are they getting enough sleep?

• Do they understand the value of sleep on their mood and ability to feel good about themselves?

• Ask them how well they’d rate their sleep from 1 to 10. Do they find it easy to fall asleep and stay asleep?

• How hard is it for them to get up in the morning and feel refreshed?

• Do gloomy thoughts ruin their day? Have they ever used alcohol or drugs to feel better about themselves and the world?

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?