How do sleep patterns affect the immune system?

Stanford researchers showed just how much stronger our immune system is at night by infecting flies with two strains of bacteria--some of those flies were infected during the day. Those that got sick during the night were more likely to survive than those getting sick during the day.

I have no doubt that if we were to test this theory on humans, we’d find similar results. It’s long been known that quality sleep boosts immunity. When most of our bodily functions are at rest, our immune systems can amplify.

The Stanford scientists also noticed that circadian rhythms come into play. Flies in the study that had abnormal sleep-wake patterns--even when infected with the bacteria during the night--had a hard time beating the infection. In humans it’s the same: if your body clock is off, which can happen when you travel, work odd hours, or have difficulty sleeping to keep your internal clock and natural sleep patterns “on time,” you run the risk of lowering your immunity.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What can disrupt sleep in children?
Dad yelling when his Giants win isn't the only thing that can startle your child out of a sleep....
Can the full moon cause me to miss sleep?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Are you having trouble sleeping? You can blame the full moon, as one recent study does—or a dozen sl...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?