How do sleep habits affect baseball players?

The researchers found that pitchers who were morning types (“early birds”), as indicated on a special questionnaire, performed better than those who are “night owls” overall. In the early games, (those that began before 7 p.m.), the ERA for pitchers who were “early birds” was 3.06, while the ERA for the “night owls” was 3.49. However, if the game was in the evening (7 p.m. or later), “night owl” pitchers were only slightly better with an ERA of 4.07, then “early bird” pitchers with an ERA of 4.15.

So what does this mean for the Boys of Summer? Well not only does the early bird catch the worm, but he also seems to strikeout the batter!

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What are some effects of sleep deprivation?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
The scourge of sleep deprivation affects millions of Americans and causes a bevy of potential conseq...
How can I set a good sleep routine for my child?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To set up a strict sleep program for your child: Establish regular times for going to bed with lig...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?