What are the risks of sleep deprivation?

Skimping on sleep is exhausting and makes you grumpy. Even worse, it causes your body to secrete extra stress hormones that lead to insulin resistance and weight gain. "People who don't sleep enough at night are also hungrier because they have more ghrelin, a hormone that make you eat more," she says. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. If your partner says you snore, and you don't wake up refreshed, see your doctor. You may have sleep apnea, a breathing disorder during sleep that can boost your diabetes risk.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

What is the best way to nap?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Researchers have determined that naps give the best health benefits when they are: About 30 minute...
Why does my body jerk awake just as I'm falling asleep?
Ever wake up suddenly as your body jumps awake? In this video, Dr. Oz reveals the cause of these...
Does sleep affect memory?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Want to maximize your learning capacity? Get some sleep. That’s the takeaway from a study that e...
How do a woman's sleep patterns change with age?
As a woman gets older, she doesn't need less sleep, but she often gets less sleep. That's because he...